April 4, 2012

I WANT TO BE FANCY

alice is legitalice is legit
This past Saturday, I spent a few hours under the guidance of a totally legit teacher learning a bit more of how to get fancy on photoshop! I know the bare basics, but just wanted to learn how to do more things. My friend Alice is a graphic designer (she graduated from Art Center Pasadena) and she has got skills like you wouldn't even believe! Every time she taught me how to do something, I was like, "Oh. My. Gosh. You are fabulous!" Really, no joke. I was saying that because she really is and answered most of my life's mysteries about that computer program.

Now, I still need to practice a whole lot to make it second nature to me, but I feel a bit fancier now. I have told Ben recently, if I had to redo my college education, I think I would have loved becoming a graphic designer. I think doodling and creating things on the computer is kind of fun, so I think I would have enjoyed that profession.

When I was deciding what to study in college, it was between being an art major or child and adolescent development major. Well, the child development one won because as much as I loved working with kids, I think I was a little too chicken to "officially" study art and didn't feel I was good enough. I didn't explore other options too much and just stuck to something I already was familiar with which was teaching. I think had I known all the possible professions in the creative arena, I might have tried to pursue that more. I know God has a reason for everything, so everything up to today has been a result of His leading, but all this to say... don't be chicken, think outside the box, just try it, and always be prepared to work hard no matter what you choose.

Anyhow, I went from me learning photoshop to decision making stuff. Sometimes I can get a bit off tangent. If you want to get a bit fancier on photoshop too, send my friend Alice an email. If you beg, she might just teach you too! Her email is walajoo(at)gmail(dot)com.

17 comments:

  1. How fun! It is so great having friends to learn from, makes it so much more fun! I am a graphic designer and went to AI-San Diego, and I went to art because art is what I loved and was my passion, but more the painting hand arts type, but I thought graphic arts was the only direction (more safe direction) in the job field... and it makes me happy to see you find so much joy in learning the computer programs! I believe God does set out paths for us and it isnt the path we would have guessed, and I def realize now that working with art has taken the joy out of it for me but it has opened up my eyes to other jobs that may bring back the joy of art, and maybe I should do as you did and find someone to teach me a skill I want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be fancy too!! My husband makes video games for a living so he is a Photoshop wiz and he tries to give me lessons here and there BUT IT IS SLOW GOING - Photoshop is really hard! But fun! I'm looking forward to improving my skills. or should I say, SKILZ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you create! You can still be a graphic artist...just perhaps with out the degree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sissy's email is walajoo@gmail.com (one "w"). :)

    glad you learned a lot and had fun, too!! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU TODAY AND EAT BOILING CRAB!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is definitely the Master Weaver...I was wondering what version of Photoshop do you use? And thank you for your wonderful posts. They are always so inspiring. Peace and Blessings to you and your family. Happy Resurrection Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your not alone, I think a lot majority of people study other subjects rather than their intended for reasons similar to yours and because of family/peer pressure....;(( xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you were an art major would we have become bff's?! ... probably not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i feel some high schools really don't teach you or allow you to explore what you really want to do in the future. while needing to learn our history and whatnot... there should be something that allows us to explore what we would want to do in the future. not every 18 yr old knows what they want to do and when you're 18, you "want" to go to school for this, but somewhere along the line... change happens... well, at least w/ me. i went into school thinking biology major.. guess what. that was the fit for my family, but not me!

    learning more fancy stuff on photoshop is awesome! i'm in the basics right now as well. i'd love to get a tablet n pen thingy one day! :) keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lately i have been wishing i pursued an art degree in college. i got into a performing arts college for flute performance but thought if i didnt major in finance that i would be broke after graduation. well, i was right- i ended up switching to history and was completely broke, but i cant help but wonder what orchestra pit i would be sitting in right now. im glad learning photoshop has given me another way to express myself. it sure is fun and addicting. cant wait to see what you come up with!

    xxoo
    www.paperplanesandmaryjanes.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cool that you have the connections to get fancy :) I want to be fancy....perhaps she'll have a workshop (hint, hint...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great! I'm with you in wishing I had studied graphic design. I really need to get Photoshop, wish it wasn't so dang expensive !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    Very good blog post I love your site keep up the great posts..........

    Photographer Durban

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least you know you can go back and study graphics at a later date!! (I was going to say when the kids were at school ha ha) x Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I had studied Graphic Design, well, either that or Photography. I'm ok with Photoshop and I am so grateful for all of the fun websites out there with some awesome tutorials and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! i am Gen and i love stopping by your cute little blog. You have such an adorable family. i think you would be a great graphic designer. it's never too late to start up a new hobby even if you don't have a degree in it. i am actually in school right now to be a graphic designer. i am 30 and have a family of my own and in school. it is a busy life but i love it. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great friend!! I have been trying to get a little more literate with photoshop...i am a novice fo sho. The hours can slip by trying to learn one thing. I love to learn new things and this is one thing on my list...happy learning...from the looks of it you are already doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ruby, you could be an excellent graphic designer! You already are! There's a lot of intuitive thinking that is used and you already have that. I'm surprised you didn't become an art teacher (I switched from Graphic Design to Art Ed and ended up doing both!). Now I'm going into medicine... life is wonderfully full of all kinds of things! Lucky you to have a friend who knows Photoshop... that can be so difficult!

    ReplyDelete

hello friends!

thank you for leaving a comment! i might not be able to respond to every comment or email, but please know every single one is special to us...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...